Thread: Sense of humour
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
I always thought it was with a touch of humor, when Eomer and Gimli were comparing Galadriel and Arwen. Something about an axe, a swordm decapitation, and the fairest lady in ME. Don't have my book with me though. I'll have this edited when I get home.
Indeed, though it was kind of a "high humour". It was the humour with straight face and actually, about serious things, while they both were aware of it. I think such could be the humour of the "noble men" and noble Dwarves, too, in lots of situations - if people like Elendil or Húrin joked, it would have been like that. You can see something similar in Aragorn's case - as Strider, he has that kind of "grim humour".

The Elves, actually, make the impression of making fun mostly of other races. Just check all the Elf-jokes and see (tra-la-ley Elves in Rivendell making fun of Bilbo and Dwarves, Legolas on Caradhras making fun of "strong men", Gildor and his company making fun of the Hobbits. The only different case I can think of is the Wood-Elves in hobbit making fun of sleeping Galion, but then, he was drunk and they were too, and they were all Wood-Elves, so not of the "high" sort). May be so because the other Elves won't be as amused or their reaction won't be so amusing (after long time of practice). Anyway, I don't belive the Elves meant any harm by it, but sometimes, especially from the Dwarves' point of view, it might have been pretty annoying and it might have contributed to the image of Elves as kind of nose-up and maybe in some things not understandable folk in the view of the other races.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote