View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Good point.
But Tom Bombadil's house isn't Faerie. Or is it?
Oh, where is Littlemanpoet when I need him. I think Tom does just as much preserving and protecting, without a ring, as Elrond and Galadriel do with a ring. Very much Faerie, very changeless. And amazing that the ring has no effect on him: makes no change in him.

Quote:
The debate goes ever on and on, down from the book where it began, now far ahead the debate shall go, over.......
Nice!
Quote:
The thing is Tom Bombadil is more "down to earth", so I think that rather than stay the same in the way of elves and Maia,.
Ah, but I would have called him an "Earthy Maia." He's so Yavanna-ish, or perhaps Melian or... you know. In terms of interest, and caring, and encouraging things to be what they are and ought.

Quote:
like "beings from above" they'd be more like the earth, changing, getting older, maybe very slowly but still getting older. Or maybe they'd age in the way of seasons, so every year they'd get older quicker than normal, but then be younger again in the spring.
Oh, that's a delicious thought... very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
the mortal who enters Faerie and comes out many, many years later (the traditional time scale seems to be seven years later, whereas he feels he has been there for just one day) quite altered
My favorite is George Macdonald, who does things like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Macdonald
The Golden Key
She turned and looked him full in the face—stood so for a whole minute, as she thought: it was a whole year...