View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Forgot about this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo_baggins
In fact, I've often wondered: did Elves even produce something as filthy as manure? They do eat food (lembas bread for instance), but then again, they are the Eldar, and could such lofty and wondrous creatures actually be associated with excrement?
Well, Mr. Baggins, the answer, as always, is found in the good book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotR; Lothlórien
On the land of Lórien there was no stain.
So unless those flets were hooked up to some good plumbing, the answer is no: much like ladies, Elves produce no excrement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrin
He does seem a bit aloof -- and lazy -- in helping the party get down off the mountain, but it was a part of the evolution of the character, his personal growth. He begins as something of an elitist snob, full of casual disdain for "lesser creatures," and by the end, he has learned to value, cherish, and love them for what they are. Which, I think, makes the character more interesting and "real.
I dunno, I think you and Mark are reading a little bit too much into Legolas. I don't think his character changes very much or at all, although he learns a thing or two during the journey. Now, I'm Tolkien's biggest fan (at least I thought so before I came here ) but character development isn't really his forte, is it?

Firstly, I don't think Tolkien meant to convey that Legolas was expressing "casual disdain for lesser creatures" on Caradhras. No, he was just joking around, trying to lighten the mood up. If anything, I believe Tolkien was trying to show how endurable Legolas the Elf was, being completely unaffected by the night in the blizzard despite wearing only light shoes etc.

Secondly, the other instance I mentioned when Leggy won't roll up his sleeves is when Aragorn and Boromir carry the fellowship's boats up to the portage way in Sarn Gebir. This happened after Moria and the fall of Gandalf that you guys mentioned as crucial to his development. By this this time Legolas is also very friendly with Gimli.

I actually think Morthoron is closest to the truth behind his jest. Elves can't be seen doing menial labour because if they do, the spell is broken and the shimmer of elevated beauty and grace that surrounds them is lost.

To return to Mr. Baggins musing: if we picture Galadriel retreating behind a bush with some leaves and a newspaper her aura of magic and mystery quickly dissipates.

Last edited by skip spence; 09-16-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typos
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote