View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 12:58 PM   #16
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I like these opinions. Okay, so we've got Sam, Aragorn and Legoals as hot favourites.

I may be a wee bit prejudice aggainst elves, but I'll will try to give an unbiased opinion. I thinks....I thinks that even though Legoals might have been a suitable ringbearer (and I'm not overly fond og Mister Greenleaf), one thing would deterr from choosing him. The ring was originally an elven problem. But when Sauron once more appears in Mordor and the threat of the Ring once more comes to light, what do the elves do? Flee back to West! They are not prepared to accept the problems of mortals as their own if there is another option. Maybe Legoals was different, I don't know. He orginally joined the Fellowship because he was going towards Mirkwood in any case and he owed the Council something because his people had let Gollum escape. He obviously became loyal to the Ringbearer and the cause as the quest progressed, but the Elven nature is weak when it comes to burdens.

As for Aragorn, Akhtene is right. Sauron would not have overlooked Isildurs Heir for long enough, despite his obvious strengths as a Ringbearer.

Pippin and Merry? As much as I would love to say they could have been ringbearers, we would have succumbed to tempation before long. They were brave and loyal and determined, but they just did not have that kind of grace. Thats one of the reasons they are such loveable characters. They are easier for people to relate to.

I would have to say Sam, for all the mentioned reasons. Although I'm sure the Fellowship would have picked Aragorn.

But one more question? Would any of the others resolved to go to Mordor, as Frodo did? More likely, they would have gone to Minas Tirith first, leading inevtitably to disaster. Even Sam would have been convinced to come to Minas Tirith by his 'betters' if he did not know his master had wanted otherwise. Would any of the others made the sacrafice Frodo was willing to make? Would they have the strength, and gone into Mordor alone? Somehow, I can't picture it. How 'bout you guys.