View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #2318
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
But chiefly, and the reason I am here tonight, is to assign finger wounds.
Specifically, slicing savoy cabbage with a very sharp knife while watching Strictly Come Dancing, and cutting right through the thumb and nail, vertically, about half an inch down.
Oh, I'll second that one, and third, and fourth it. I did something quite similar a few days before Christmas last year, and it's only the most recent in a series of such incidents between me and instruments with edges. I've sliced off the tip of a finger with a rotary cutter, snipped the webbing between fingers with industrial shears, punched clear through nail and finger with sewing machines at least three times (of course the needle broke on the way back out, not in), had a rusty needle lodge itself until a fingernail while packing up my late mother's sewing supplies... Yes, finger injuries are incredibly painful, and I'm hard put to decide if the pain of the wound was worse than the pain of the novocaine injections on the palm of the hand and between the fingers. I understand your family's feelings of "eewh" quite well. And you were lucky to have skilled help on hand. In the rotary cutter incident, I had to wrap up the hand, clench it into a fist to keep pressure on the wound and hold it over my head while driving one-handed to the emergency room (the nearest of which was about 15 miles away). Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I don't a lot of sewing, these days...