View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
This one on Stanage Edge is good too:
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walk...s/walk_a/1090/
You can pretened to be Keira Knightley or just look for snakes. It's a bit like you imagine the walk from Rivendell to have been. Awesome views.
I don't know, Lal. I think we all imagine Middle earth based on the land we know and for me those English "peaks" just don't say "Misty Mountains."

I've always imagined Rivendell, hidden as it was in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, to be overhung by the mountain range. Part of its hiddenness lies in its inaccessibility. Tolkien's original postcard of Gandalf, the old man hiking in Swiss mountains, probably has something to do with my non-English sense of Rivendell. (I've always imagined Rivendell having hot springs too, for their healing quality, although I know that "baths" aren't particularly English, except for, of course, Bath, which in my experience of Austen has nothing to do with healing. )

Anyhow, here's a peak at my Rivendell walking terrain (which of course has nothing to do with this thread's topic, Hobbity walks): Kootenay Rookies and this one, as the town of Jasper is huddled at the foot of some very tall peaks: Jasper

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-23-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote