View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I spent a year or so just playing "Hang-hobbit" on the Main "Barrowdowns" page. Then one day I clicked on the "forum" link. I found out that day that they were making a movie about "Lord of the Rings," and started to read more. Since then, my user-name has changed (it used to be "ainur") because of the change from e-z board to whatever we have now (or vice-versa). I lost my password and had to re-create my sign-on, start from scratch. A year or so later the "Fellowship" movie came out. I guess I was actually here fairly early, though I have never posted very much, in either of my "personas".

Why do I keep coming back after all these years? I think it has to do with the level of intelect available on this site. While I admit that you can find intelligent posting on other sites, you have to weed through many, many threads to find them. On this site, virtually everyone has some genuine insight. It's rare to find a thread worth discussing (no, I don't mean those "what if-" threads, or those "Who's your favorite-" threads) on other sites, but the good ones are common here. I seem to prefer the 'literary' discussions, and "Barrowdowns.com" has plenty of those compared to any other site I've visited.

I don't post often, but when I do (at least recently) I try to add to the discussion, and intrigue people. I am not trying to add to my post numbers or my rep. There is a lot about this site that reminds me of the kind of dialogue that I used to have years ago when I was in college, and I was in my Science Fiction course, discussing literary insights, rather than "Who's cuter, Legolas or Aragorn?" It's not that I don't enjoy light-hearted banter, but it's not what I'm after here. It seems to me that more than one 'world-class' literati has chosen to join the 'Barrowdowns.com' forum to make their voice heard, at least briefly, and rather than standing out, they fit in.

In discussions of Tolkien as LITERATURE!, this forum is as good as it gets, bar none! That's really why I'm here. I enjoy the insight and challenge that you can't get anywhere else.