View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #379
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I was flipped out by Ilya's quote lists mostly because when I see quotes in anything I'm reading, I have a nasty habit of skipping them, because most of the time when something I read has a quoted off section like that, it's written in a language I don't know. Consequently, posts that consist almost entirely of quotes tend to completely throw me off because

1) the person looks like they're making points, but in reality they're just copy/pasting other people's out-of-context comments

2) my brain is conditioned to all but ignore them anyway (this is probably a trait singular to me, as it's caused by reading massive amounts of art and lit theory).

Basically, when I saw the lists of quotes, I harkened back to Freshman Writing Class and thought "Okay, so you filled up page space. What's your point?" I was bothered that Ilya didn't have an argument that she was supporting, instead it seemed like she was just organizing.

Which while I admit that I OCD adore organizing, I kept waiting and waiting for some sort of reasoning as to what Ilya actually thought, as opposed to what Ilya's organization skills are.

I was thrown off wholly by having to sit my way through what felt like a lot of carefully wasted space without having the payoff of Ilya actually giving us anything personal to go on.

It's like judging the opinion of somebody who's reading a script, you know? I want your own words, not somebody else's.

Probably why I write the stuff I do, and ignore the stuff with MLA citations...

I apologize that this looks like a bandwagon last minute, but I'm also not willing to cause a double lynch (or even get close) today by voting Gwath (plus I don't have time to substantiate any arguments)

so

++Ilya