Thread: Galadriel's Ban
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There is the statement in The Mirror of Galadriel that seems to imply Artanis is allowed to pass Oversea: 'I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel' This is before her songs of course. In any case, someone was going to add it eventually I guess, despite the strong statements in RGEO.

On the Kinslaying: from her introduction (in text) to the Elder Days in the early 1950s, it seems 'the people of Finarfin had had no part in the kinslaying of Alqualonde' (from Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn, written possibly between the end of 1959 and March 1960, according to Hammond and Scull in Chronology). In earlier text Angrod appears to confirm this before Thingol (War of the Jewels).

In 1968 however (Shibboleth of Feanor): 'she fought fiercely against Feanor in defence of her mother's kin'.

Did Galadriel herself kill? Well it doesn't say that, but now she is involved at least, in some way and measure, in the Kinslaying. In the even later adumbrated tale (Unfinished Tales) Galadriel is removed from the Rebellion, and the implication is that she was in Swanhaven before Feanor, and still 'fought heroically in defense of Alqualonde against the assault of the Noldor' Contemporary with this late text is the letter to Lord Halsbury, where Tolkien notes that Galadriel was 'unstained' and had committed no evil deeds.

Unless I've missed something Galadriel had no part whatsoever in this event for some years (in Tolkien's mind, though hard to say more than 'as evidenced on paper at least'). And then she is given a heroic part defending the Teleri.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote