View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #36
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
For me the books and movies serve different purposes so I can enjoy both of them without either having a negative effect on the other. I did see the movies before reading any of Tolkien’s books, and I do enjoy a bit of good natured complaining about changes the movies made from the books.

The books - Tolkien is easily my favorite author. His books are my thinking books, my fantasy books, the books I use as justification when anybody says my obsession with fantasy or languages is stupid. I read the books for the enjoyment of always finding something new in them, the satisfaction of finishing a reread every year - I’ve read them every year since I got them in 7th grade, so 4 times so far, every year around my birthday. I never imagine the books as looking like the movies, either..

The movies - I am sick a lot. The movies are my curl up on the couch with a diet coke and snack under a blanket, escape into another world without having to try and read a book with watery eyes cure. I will also admit that I love the costumes and they have reawakened my interest in costume design, something I had forgotten I enjoyed.