View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #484
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Finally I have time to post, though I am very exhausted...

Fea pretty much summarized the events of last week, though I suppose I can add on in my own perspective.

After an easy couple plane rides, I arrived at the tiniest airport ever to be greeted by Fea and Mira. After our first initial contact, we headed to the car and took the "scenic route" to Elmira. And by scenic I mean we drove through scenery that resembled something of a horror film; we were waiting for the axe murderer to jump out of the trees any time. Though Mira was having a panic attack in the backseat, I was more amused than anything. Meanwhile, Fea insisted that we were not lost and that if we kept turning left we'd eventually find a bigger road, though I think for awhile they kept getting smaller. We did make it back to Elmira...an hour later.

Later on after meeting Lari and Nienna and dropping off Mira (who had somewhere else to be), we ate dinner at a school restaurant (yes, their school has restaurants). Throughout the evening it became more and more hectic with someone new always arriving, but the craziness was fun and during it all, we made cocktails.

Next day we went shopping and did the typical girl stuff. And in the evening we went to the bar and had plenty of fun with drinks and fries. Fea was kind enough to get me a mint chocolate martini, which basically tasted like mint ice cream...it was like heaven!

Sunday I got to learning how to make pottery. I started off completely clueless, but enjoyed it as I learned and covered my clothes in clay. It'd take much practise for me to actually make anything decent, but I was a bit proud of what I did manage to make...though I'm not sure what happened to it...

Once the other guests left, things did begin to quiet down and the girls went off to do homework and attend classes. With their busy schedules, I was left in the apartment most of the day, which I didn't mind since it gave me a chance to sleep in and relax. Plus, I got really good at Wii. In the evening, the girls would take turns cooking dinner, all of which tasted wonderful and of course we'd take some time to chat. Thursday I did my part to help out by doing a lot of dishes, then making a frozen peanut butter pie (something my family loves to eat though I've never made it by myself before).

On Friday, Fea took me to the Corning Glass Museum where we spent plenty of time talking about and admiring glass. Then I got to shape glass myself which was strange, but fun. Though I quickly realised I'd never do well with making glass since the glass cools too quickly for a perfectionist like me. But now I have a pretty purple flower sitting on my dresser, which makes me happy. We were originally planning to see Coraline for Friday night, but those plans were quickly dashed when we discovered that the film had left the theatre. So I suggested we play LotR Trivial Pursuit and drink daiquiris and tequila instead, which was a much better plan I must say. Trivial Pursuit was complete insanity, though we never actually finished the game since Nienna hit the wrong button on the dvd player. But it was an excuse to bring out the alcohol, which we did. Mmm...daiquiris...

We made our road trip to Rikae's on Saturday, where we spent an hour and a half in the car singing to songs. This time we did not get lost (since Fea wasn't driving) and we safely arrived in Geneva, where Rikae and the baby greeted us. After spending a couple hours chatting and gooing over Annika, we relocated to the computer to greet Mac. Those last few hours were rather nutty and I can only imagine what it was like for poor Mac on the other end.

Visiting Rikae pretty much marked the end of my visit since after we returned to the apartment, I packed and then left in the morning. It was so much fun and I was sad to have to return to my isolated hotel dorm in Boston...

So my impressions...

Fea was shorter than I expected. Somehow I imagined her to be tall, but she's more like my height. She really is just as crazy as she is on the Downs, though perhaps less scary. ; ) I can see why Fea loves having Nienna as a roommate, as she is a great girl that you want to be around and very helpful too. Lari is very much like what she is on the Downs...she's very sweet and also a bit quirky in a cute way. She is a romantic and loves Tudor England. Ask her about it, and I'm sure she'll have plenty to say. Mira surprised me a bit. I think I expected her to be a bit like Lari, but she's much louder and perhaps crazier. She's also a big Star Wars and sports fan. I'm sure that in the next game tp and Boro are in, she'll be the first to join in on their discussions of football. : D While I had imagined Fea as tall, I also imagined Rikae to be short...though I don't know why since I think she indicated in memes on LJ that she is tall. She was quiet at first, probably from the initial shock of having five BDers walk through her front door. Though it didn't take long for her to open up and I found her very easy to talk to. And little Annika is so adorable. We all teased that by five years old, she'll be playing werewolf and trying to get her parents lynched for not giving her dessert. : P Though we didn't meet Mac in person, we had a lot of fun chatting with him through Skype. He can be quite the silly one, especially when sleep deprived. Hopefully I will get to actually meet him in person someday soon.

Coming to Elmira for Spring Break was definitely the best choice I made, as it was a great experience. And interesting to stay at a different college for an extended period of time...though also a bit weird since my school has the same colours and initials; the memorabilia seemed strangely familiar. Though Elmira is much more obsessed with purple; doors are painted purple, even the tractors and construction equipment are purple! And I heard plenty of complaining from the girls about purple graduation robes (poor things).

I have more to say, but I shall put it in another post since this one's long enough...