Thread: The other rings
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 11:01 PM   #7
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Yes, I agree and apologize; "Angmar," which means something line Ironhome is a Place-Name to be sure, and seemingly not a Proper-Name for the Chief of the Nazgul, although I've seen it used as such elsewhere (maybe the David Day Bestiary, which is flawed), and I find it a useful shorthand for him, but sorry to cause confusion. Again, by the time of the War of the Rings, those guys had left their real lives behind by 3,500 to 4,500 years ago. Although Elrond and loremasters of Gondor could have identified some of them, such information had no use, and was not generally known. Likely, the Ringwraiths themselves may have had no knowledge of whom they had been.

Yes, I believe that Gothmog was a name used for a Nazgul, who was either the second-in-command out of Morgul, or the Nazgul-in-charge of forces issuing from Cirith Gorgor in the assault on Minas Tirith.

Khamûl is I believe supposedly the name of the Nazgul who comes Hobbiton, and who was known in reference to his past as the "Black Easterling". He was also, I think, the Chief among the Nazgul that been in command of the reoccupation of Dol Guldor, after Sauron left the last time.

Beyond this nothing else in particular is known about the Nine.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote