View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #159
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye The story begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnem
Mnemosyne's mind raced. "Father, father--he said father! Father used to be here, he talks like Gollum, he looks kind of-- Oh, holy Valar, phantom, please tell me I'm going crazy!"
Phantom looked closely at the man. "Well, he does kind of... but really, I mean... why in the world would Christopher Tolkien be here?"

At this, the man jerked his head so that he was facing Phantom and looked directly into his eyes. "Christopher... yes... that's what he used to call me. But he didn't know everything. He was wrong about it. He said it couldn't do anything here. But no, no, he didn't know. We've kept it longer. It got in our head, and we wants it out!"

The man grabbed Phantom's shirt and pulled him closer. "We've gots to do it! He said never to open it, or to try to find how, but we must! It hurts... in the head... and it won't let us take it off!" He waved his hand in front of Phantom's face, and on his finger was a simple golden ring.

Mnem rolled her eyes. "Aren't you supposed to be invisible?"

"It doesn't work like that here," answered the man, and Mnem jumped in surprise, not expecting to be addressed. "Not in this world. Father didn't think any of it worked at all here. Thought it had no power at all, since it couldn't make him disappear. But no, it still has power. Just slower, and less. But it's too much for us! It told us to take it back, and if we don't...."

At this point such a look of pain and fear crossed his face that Phantom waved off the possibility of a joke. This man was clearly crazed. Just then Mira approached with her laptop.

"I thought he looked familiar," whispered Mira, "And look!"

On her computer was a picture of Christopher Tolkien. "Oh my goodness!" exclaimed Mnem. "He looks just like him!"

"Just like him?" said Mira. "It IS him."

Last edited by the phantom; 04-11-2009 at 04:09 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote