View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #162
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

It was Phantom who finally got past his surprise and answered Glorfindel. "That stranger was Tolkien's son. He opened the portal."

"But who are you, and why did he open the portal?" asked Glorfindel.

"I am Pha- I mean Philip. I don't know anything about this. Chris Tolkien came in and was talking crazy and acting weird, and then he opened the portal and went through. That's all I know."

Glorfindel moved closer and and questioned Phantom again. "So, you did not know Tolkien at all? And that was his son? But where is Tolkien?"

"Tolkien is dead," answered Phantom. "He died many years ago. I never knew him. Though I've read most of his books. The son finished the books the father never finished. But..." At that moment, the absurdity and strangeness hit Phantom full for the first time. Here was in front of him, Glorfindel? This is ridiculous he thought. How is this happening?

"But of course, he'd be dead now," said Glorfindel. "His final visit was long ago, and he was not young even then. But- you know nothing of the portal, or of this world?"

"No," said Phantom, "I told you I didn't know anything about the portal, but I do know about that world. I read Tolkien's books about it. But... it's not real. I mean- he made up Middle-Earth."

Glorfindel's eyebrows raised, and he smiled briefly. "So, Tolkien was a god, was he, and gave me and my friends life?"

"What? No. That's not what I meant," said Phantom. "I mean, he wrote stories about you, and he made up the stories... from in his head."

"He may have invented stories about Middle-Earth," said Glorfindel gravely, "But that does not mean he invented Middle-Earth or its people. He knew it was real. He visited several times. Otherwise I would not be able to speak your tongue."