View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #272
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

The Downers glanced at their watches. It was just past eleven, and no one was precisely certain what time constituted day and night. "I guess it's not a twelve hour cycle," Agan had observed after 6 o'clock, for they had regained consciousness at six in the morning. "Obviously not sun set," Brin had remarked shortly after 8 o'clock. A bit later, Fea suggested midnight, and this opinion was seconded by several.

"If Day truly ends at midnight, then hadn't we better cast our votes?" asked Firefoot.

"But how are we supposed to cast our votes?" asked Formendacil.

"Type them on our computers maybe," suggested Green.

"And if you didn't bring one, maybe write it on a piece of paper," added Gwath.

"Forget the voting," said Izzy. "All I can think about is the actual lynch. I mean- what do we do after we've counted the votes?"

There was an uncomfortable silence. For the first time, it really hit home what was being asked of them. They would actually have to kill one of their fellow Downers, not knowing if they were innocent or not.

Finally Kent spoke up. "No way. I'm not doing it. I mean, honestly. Why don't we just sit here and do nothing? The only person who has done any killing to this point is The Witch King. For all we know there won't be any killing at night, and he just wanted to see us kill each other for his amusement."

There were many who had doubts, but no one said a word. Even if they were in favor of a lynch, how could they possibly say so to everyone else. How could you look your fellow Downers in the eye and say, "No, I really think I ought to try and kill one of you"?

Kuru's watch beeped. "It's midnight," he said unnecessarily. Everyone knew what time it was. In the silence, it seemed that they could hear the sound of a huge waterfall, deep and thunderous. It grew louder, and soon the tables and chairs shook and glasses fell from behind the bar and shattered on the floor. And then silence again, followed by the dull thud of Nienna's body hitting the floor.

A cold lifeless voice spoke from the walls and floor and ceiling. "You have failed to cast any votes, but there must be a death, and so I have taken an innocent from you. Such is the penalty for your lack of participation. Your only hope lies in following the rules of the game. Do not fail again."

There was a flash of light, and all the Downers fell to the floor or slumped in their chairs. It was night.