Thread: My Secret Vice
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Does anyone else do this? And if so, can you help me understand why? Why do I need 6 copies of LoTR, 3 of the Silmarillion, when I have 1 reading copy of each. Why all these other books, some of which I've barely glanced at?
Piker. Small stuff. My LOTR collection (just the boxed trilogies) fits in one of those big plastic boxes (you know, the 2'x2'x3' type) and I still have the red cover hardback, several single-cover ciopies, and a boxed set or two.

Okay, now I'll read the rest of the thread... maybe I'll end up taking another inventory.

But my real question is music. Whatcha got for MUSIC?

EDIT:

Ten boxed (or pseudo boxed by me) sets or almost-sets (Meaning I completed the sets myself instead of buying them as sets.)

Four that I could locate (but I KNOW I have more-- dweeby black-paperback movie editions-- am I missing another whole plastic box...??? ) single-volume trilogies (one Red Book, two dimestore movie editions, and one old paperback that has a faded Pauline Baynes illustration and is missing much of the appendices.)

My husband always said "But it's all the SAME STORY."

And that's just the trilogy. I have many hobbits, including a New annotated Hobbit and an Old annotated hobbit... Two paperback sets of History of LOTR; four or five TOlkien Readers... Yeah. Stuff.

Inventory started, but I gotta get the pizza out of the oven now...

Another Edit After Liberating the Pizza (although the fire alarm went off, the pizza was NOT overdone: )

So you ask, Why? Why do you hoard Tolkien?

I don't know why I do it either-- excapt perhaps that the trauma of losing my original Red Heraldry set to mildew triggered it. I HAD to have another Red Heraldry set; but I bought a gold one; then I missed the psychedelic ones, and once I started surfing covers, I just kinda liked them all. Even the movie ones (I know, I know, but I always loved that shot of Frodolijah holding the ring and being all lit with red from his fireplace.)

Maybe there's some sort of hope that, if we just collect enough, from one of them will spring a Mallorn tree. Or maybe a Wardrobe that drops us off at the House of Lost Play. Or maybe we'll start Dreaming, Ælfwine.

I DO know that's why I hoard the music.

EDIT: Squatter: Although I CAN read the Road Goes Ever On, I can't read three copies at once. See above.

Last edited by mark12_30; 05-08-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Why? Why do Mallorns hold their leaves in the winter? Because Lothlorien is like that. Elrond's library?
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote