View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #470
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Javan, Garmund, and Cnebba

Javan was at the wash bucket outside the tent for the men when Cnebba and Garmund came racing up. With hardly a glance at him, the two boys darted inside. Javan splashed some water over his hands and face. As soon as he was finished here, he would be ready to go down and see Eodwine married.

Garmund and Cnebba began a conversation inside the tent. Javan listened unintentionally for a while at first, but just as he was standing up to go, he heard some words of interest and his ears perked to listen. He turned and came back to the tent and stood with bent head to hear what was said within.

“I don’t think he was,” Cnebba said. “Didn’t you hear him say that it was fitting punishment for trespassing?”

“He was being easy on us, I tell you! A game, he called it. Well, I’m not so sure he’s going to prove quite as easy as you might think!”

“It won’t be difficult, anyway. Why are you so upset?"

“He called me little.”

“His hammer almost knocked you over.”

Javan finally gathered that they were speaking about Harreld. A smile spread slowly across his face. What had they been doing? What had Harreld done? Practically in the same breath, the two boys were speaking about having been dealt with easily, but also about the hammer almost knocking Garmund over. Trespassing? There were too many questions to just walk away from!

Javan stepped into the tent. The boys stopped talking and turned to look at him. Garmund had a new shirt pulled on his arms but not yet over his head, and Cnebba was buttoning his pants.

“What are you two talking about? I let you out of my sight for a few minutes after the games are up and you get into trouble?”

Garmund frowned at him. He did not like the way Javan spoke to them, trying to sound all grown-up and bossy and acting like they were so much younger. He pulled the shirt over his head. “It’s none of your business,” he said.

“Sure it is,” Javan answered, folding his arms. “I’m in charge of you, aren’t I?”

“Only when we’re doing archery.”

Javan looked at Cnebba. He usually put up less resistance than Garmund. “What were you talking about?”