View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Just think, in some countries currently we would be beaten, ostracized or stoned for expressing such subversive religious views (a point made quite clear by Voltaire in my sig line). Thankfully Tolkien, although staunchly religious, did not demean his tale by overtly allegorical means. Which is why it can be enjoyed by folks worldwide no matter their religious beliefs (or disbeliefs as the case may be).

This, of course, allows me to go off on a tangent and repeat the lyrics to that Southern Baptist hymn 'Give Me That Old Time Religion', except taken one step further by that sly old folk singer, Pete Seeger:

Gimme that ole time religion,
Gimme that ole time religion,
Gimme that old time religion,
It's good enough for me.

Let us pray with Zarathustra,
Let us pray just like we used ta,
I'm a Zarathustra booster,
And it's good enough for me.

Let us pray like those old Druids,
They drank fermented fluids,
Waltzing naked through the woo-ids,
It's good enough for me.

Let us pray with Aphrodite,
Let us pray with Aphrodite,
She wears that see-through nightie,
And it's good enough for me.

Let us pray just like we ought'er,
Offer animals for slaughter,
Sacrifice our sons and daughters,
It's good enough for me.

I am sure we could add that good ol' Eru wearing a Ravi Shankar Nehru that he bought while touring Peru...ummm....never mind.