View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Sometimes I would rather deal with a computer, as it least it can be consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative.
I want my computer to be unimaginative, as well as my car, my watch, the roof of my house, the roads over which I traveled this morning... There's room in the world for some consistency as well as the unpredictable, and what of those who are consistency unpredictable (not to mention any nicks)?

Quote:
I think the more appropriate word to use here is "schisms."
This is another reason to avoid Esty's suggestion, as right off the bat, you have two groups, and eventually that will lead to some ugliness. For example, anyone familiar with the Christmas cartoon, The Year Without a Santa Claus by Rankin/Bass? You'd think that such a 'wonderful' children's cartoon (note that I consider this show to be a form of torture, and avoid it as possible) would not cause controversy, but it did. Ages ago, when I was in school, the show, then shown only seasonally as there's weren't videotapes yet, caught on in class. One guy decided that he liked Heatmiser, and so another just *had* to champion Snowmiser. A day or two later and most of the class is divided into the two factions, with badges and other flare indicating which group one was a member of. I hated the movie even then, and so didn't join either, but this just increased the number of people who didn't like me - each side, when I turned down their offer of membership, *obviously* thought that I was going for the other side - which I wasn't.

Luckily, spring arrived.

Anyway, as Tolkienophiles are a minority, I'd hate to see us fractionated.