View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 02:44 AM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Excellent thread, Vanasdottír, hopefully it attracts some attention. I enjoyed reading the article, and didn't see it as yet another example of an Americo-centric world. I assume the writer was from the US. What are they supposed to write about? Summer fashions in Outer Mongolia?

Quote:
firefighter martyrs and Hellfire missles
I think that juxtaposition was a little uncalled for. Revering the firefighters who lost their lives trying to save others at Ground Zero is far from warmongering. I'd have to say that all in all the article gives little credit to today's citizens, who are far from being duped into enlisting as so many were at the time of The Great War (nice title). Coming from Aotearoa/New Zealand I find the behaviour towards war in that time period all the more disgusting. Many of my countrymen were fooled into serving the designs only of the British Empire. But that was a long time ago.

Today's world is vastly different, and people are more educated about the horrors of war, and are better able to distinguish when a war is necessary and when it isn't. I think that most of us out there still learn more from history than from fiction. Today's world is educated like at no other time in the past. And in any case if I was to pick out recent films that glorified war, LOTR probably wouldn't make it into the top ten.