View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #216
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I think Bombadil is the extreme example of isolation "outside" the history - almost, or on the very edge (mostly as an observer - as we are shown in the places where he tells something about old Arnor, the barrows or the woman wearing the jewel from that tomb).
The 'outside' word interests me, and leads me to wonder if my 'Maia or Eru' ideas might not be too stratified. Tom actually reminds me a bit of Ungoliant in that context.

Quote:
For though the Valar did not yet understand fully what had befallen, they perceived that Melkor had called upon some aid that came from beyond Arda.
Silm Of the Flight of the Noldor

So the Valar, the most powerful and knowledgeable beings of Arda, were unaware of Ungoliant and did not know what manner of creature she was. Perhaps Tom was a being of the same sort, differently embodied. It would explain why the Eldar, taught by the Valar, had no clear notion what Tom was.