View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #38
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheHalflings View Post
I don't smoke either, nor have I ever taken up the habit. I agree that smokers could dispose of their rubbish better - but the same is true of those who drink Coca Cola or eat at McDonalds etc.
I disagree. I don't have a scientific study to back up what I write, so you'll just have to believe me.

My one point of evidence is my neighbor who throws his cigarette butts in his own yard. I've seen him with other non-edible consumables, but not *one* of these other items has ever hit the grass. Every evening, though, there's one more butt on the lawn.

He lives upwind, and it smolders...

Quote:
In some cases it must be noted that smokers do not always have a place to dispose of their rubbish
I hard trouble reading this through my tears...can't we have some kind of fundraiser?

Quote:
...they are often expected to smoke outside
I use this to teach my kids what addiction means:

"See those people standing over there by the doorway. It's forty below (an easy temp for both ºF and ºC fans), and yet they're out there, puffing away.

That's addiction."

Quote:
in a designated area that has no rubbish disposal because some bureaucrat has decided that "smokers bins" would be unsightly, undesirable or immoral. The excuse used would be such bins would "encourage smoking". Naturally, not providing bins further stigmatises smokers and their "dirty habit".
I could upload a picture of all of the butts outside of the bins. And we would need to install them on the doors of cars as well.

Quote:
As I said ... I don't smoke ... but I don't like busy-bodies either. I see no problem in designating that most places be "smoke-free" but on the other hand I don't understand why no places can be "smoke-friendly", as seems to be the trend in most countries.
Agreed. Smoke'em if you got em, or not if you rather not. But don't blame Gandalf for it.