View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #62
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriena View Post
And I definitely grow to associate people with the images, it's always weird to me when there's an obvious mismatch between someone's writing style, thoughts and opinions, and their avatars. And if someone uses an avatar with some person in it, I (quite naively, but involuntarily) almost expect the forum user to look kind of like that person

I always use the same picture for pretty much everything that needs an icon. It represents me quite well since it's my face I don't change self-representing user pictures often, once every few years or so (booooring). I like grabbing on to familiar things on teh Internets.
My mental pictures of posters are also very influenced by their avatar, especially when it depicts a face. When I think of alatar, I think of a young and handsome dude who rides a motorcycle in a leather jacket. Esty is the princess in Shrek, Mith is that pale woman on the painting and Rune is a Karl Marx-looking guy (although now I know he's Ron Weasley rather ).

In your case I see an unadorned picture of an attractive woman, and I think I would feel cheated if that weren't in fact you. With stylized images you can sort of accept that the person in question doesn't actually look like the pic, but with a plain photo that's harder. You're not a man, are you?

And welcome to the downs!

Last edited by skip spence; 08-19-2009 at 07:02 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote