View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #2568
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Artiste-types who set themselves as experts on something on the net– say writing a blog on art or literature. They're typically in the early stages of a degree. They're not professional, but they're not children, and they seem to have some idea what they're talking about. Why, they even say they want constructive criticism.

So– noticing a mistake or something that could be improved, you very politely draw their attention to it. (Not talking about picking their work apart, you understand. I'm talking about pointing out something totally peripheral, that you wouldn't think they'd care about.)

Bang! Next thing you know you're the recipient of the nastiest message you've ever got in your life, in which your entire character gets ripped to shreds, for the sin of sort of implying that some 19-year-old student might not know everything there is to know about everything in the entire world. I mean, it's really not much different from the spoiled-brat fan-fic writer's response– only they're not all that good at being bitchy. These ones I'm talking about are older and smarter and leave you quivering.

Seriously, I've got into internet debates with Neo-nazis and they can't get to me like these girls can. I think it's because I'm never prepared for the onslaught. I mean, you're trying to help,and think they're going thank you the way normal people do (even if they secretly think someone's annoying), and instead they go for your throat. Really, it gets to me every time. It's always so 0ut-of-the-blue I'm never prepared for it, you see.

Right, well, I just needed to get that out.

~Nerwen the Quivering.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-21-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote