View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Quite true. And sometimes I wonder, do those black metallers think they get cooler or something by alluding to one such as Tolkien, who is easily associated with modern epics. I mean, if those metallers allude to something as crass as those horrible Meyer things, they'd get classified as emo/screamo stuff.
Well, I would respectfully point out that Amon Amarth are not exactly black metal. Actually, I know this band quite well, and the bassist and founding member is the Lord of the Rings fan: he suggested the name and the others agreed that it had a nice ring to it.

Also: get.........cooler? Which alternative universe are you living in if you think making Tolkien references increases your 'cool'?

I don't know what Meyer is.

Anyway, as for Blind Guardian: each to their own, and all that. I see why it's popular but it's just not my thing.

Burzum is recognisable, surely, to us all, from the inscription on the Ring of Sauron:

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

It's also the name of one of the most influential black metal projects. Try looking for some Burzum; though you said you don't like growling vocals... how about screams? If not, he does plenty of ambient work too.