View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 10:03 PM   #35
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi Maril [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Dungeons and Dragons was clearly the creation of Sino-Communist agitators intent on corrupting the innocent (such as you and I) and weakening the flawless democracies and constitutional monarchies that have served us so well. I should know, I was there back in the day, and let me tell you Chairman Mao's little book came in very handy indeed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Just as Harry Potter is merely the unacceptable face of the rampant occultism that threatens to rend the very fabric of our society. It says so on the internet.

But as I said, finding fault with the conclusions or research of either of the articles is not the same as dealing with the premise, albeit more reasonably explored in the second. And indeed you are making that point in a roundabout way.

We do project our own aspirations, prejudices, agendas and so on upon works of art. It's not just "other people" who do this. It's all of us. And where a film contains war between clearly identifiable oppositional morality, it'll happen too.

It IS silly to simply heap blame inappropriately upon the author or film-maker, or necessarily infer a sinister political agenda, but you only have to view any pre-1950s western to see how most films are both of and for their time. Even at their worst, such films probably do no more than simply reassure us about our existing moral worldview. At their best, they may challenge us and make us think. They do not provide us with a rational legitimisation of political acts. We choose who we think the bad guys are in real life, or we choose to believe what someone tells us.

As I said, PJ just happened to pick now. The debate about whether such films contribute to our perception of moral or 'just' war is reasonable. The argument that LotR in book or film subtly promotes or legitimises American foreign policy is sophistry.

Great to see you posting [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Peace

Kalessin
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote