View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #1097
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
The Eye

But very right so, Rumil! Well done!

You have also correctly intepreted the particularities of the riddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Although for me He meant more than She - Tricksy - Sauron meant more than Arwen? Certainly a more immediate concern, but rather un-gallant, no?
Perhaps put in an un-gallant way but indeed, Sauron was Aragorn's deeper concern in the sense that he could have dropped his vocation and lived somewhere in peace in Rivendell, if he wanted, but he chose not to (I was thinking in the immediate context of Galadriel's "test of minds" and also Aragorn's half a century-long journeys in the Wilderness). Although, of course, even behind his conflict with the Enemy there was the background of doing this for the sake of Arwen, I am far from disvaluing Aragorn's motives.

Quote:
Me and Him, so alike We - In a rather not-very-alike way, but I suppose both are great and effective leaders
Yes, well, this was mostly just an ouverture to the following statements, though I said it also because I think I recall somebody (Gandalf? Probably) said somewhere (like by the end of TT?) that these two are sort of alike (I don't recall the context properly, though. If anybody finds it, you can get two insubstantional points more ).

Quote:
Touch the same iron, touch the same stone - both touched Anduril, stone, hmm, possibly somewhere in Minas Morgul???
The iron was indeed referring to the Sword that was Broken, as for the stone, what I actually had in mind was not the very same particular stone, but the Palantíri - which are of course technically made of the same stone, or kind of stone.

Quote:
We never speak, We never meet - Yup, (Palantir doesn't count)
Exactly. Indeed that was the possible problem I was referring to, as I was afraid that people could just say "nah, they talked via Palantír", while in fact they didn't (you cannot really talk via Palantír).

And the distinctive hands, perfectly correct. I must actually say that it was the part of the riddle I myself liked the most, because it seems funny to me in some way. Not sure why, it's just wonderful to think of it like that.

Well, anyway! Your turn, Rumil, you definitely deserve it!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote