View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #494
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Lord Eodwine was unconscious, and there were drops of sweat on his brow. Modtryth wiped them off gently. Balvir and Wilcred by the stretcher looked stressed and sorrowful, and Modtryth could see why for she felt the very same herself. Here lay, perhaps fatally ill, the noble and good-hearted lord who had taken her family as his folk without any prejudices and had respected them as how they were, not as how they seemed with their random history and Dunlending connections. The thought of losing such a good man would be a horrible loss to so many. Modtryth, however, knew that the lord's fate was not in her hands, and what would happen would happen, so she remained calm and did her duties.

There were soft footsteps and somebody entered the room.

"How is he?" Aedhel whispered as she came to Modtryth's side.
The older woman shrugged. "The same."
Aedhel nodded. "Good. I hope he will be alright. He will soon get the best care available in this land." She paused, then continued. "I finished the packings. Thanks for making everything ready for me. You can go now."
Modtryth nodded curtly and gave the healer a small smile. "Hope your journey goes safely."
"Thank you, and goodbye then," Aedhel said, returning the smile.
"Goodbye," Modtryth said and turned to hurry away.

She was almost at the door when she turned back and walked to the bedside. She bowed slightly. "Safe journey, my lord," she whispered although she knew he could not hear her. "And get better." Then she nodded politely to the two soldiers and Aedhel and left the room for good.

When she hurried out, she went to find Saeryn. Modtryth was at the lady's side more or less all the time since Saeryn had discovered she was pregnant, for as odd as it seemed to her, she was the only woman in the hall who had actually carried and delivered a child. Saeryn had been grateful to hear of herbs that would ease her feeling ill (and more delighted to find out that Aedhel had them) and had asked Modtryth practical questions from time to time.

Modtryth didn't have to do much to find her lady, for they met accidentally a few steps from Eodwine's door. Saeryn didn't say anything, but there was a question and a dim flicker of hope in her eyes. Modtryth forced a small smile. "It's not worse," she said. Saeryn nodded, and hurried past her to see her husband. Modtryth decided to go and find the kids instead.

Cnebba, Garmund and Leothern were all with Léof and Javan by the wagon, patting the horses harnessed to pull it.
"Mum, were you seeing Lord Eodwine?" Cnebba asked when she came there.
"Yes, I was looking after him for a short while so that Aedhel could pack her personal stuff and check what I had packed for her," she replied.
"How is he?" asked Léof quietly.
Modtryth turned to the young stablemaster and replied with equal seriousness: "He has high fever and he's unconscious. But he seems to be fighting, he is not going to wither away."
Léof nodded, then lowered his head either in grief or deep thought.

"Does he have any huge boils? Ghastly red spots all over his face?" Cnebba asked in an enthusiastic voice that merited a very dark scowl from his mother.
"Cnebba, you do not talk of Lord Eodwine like that! Show some respect, not only because he is your superior in age and rank - and wisdom or strength or anything, for that matter - but also because he has been so good to you and your family."
"I... I didn't mean to be disrespectful, truly! I'm sorry... Lord Eodwine... he... he's a good man," Cnebba stammered and Modtryth, to her astonishment, could see tears forming in the boy's eyes.

Of course, she thought, I have been so blind. She had been so concentrated on the worries of the hall and Saeryn's grief, that she had not noticed the worry and distress of the kids who truly liked and admired the lord.

She laid her hand gently on Cnebba's shoulder.
"Calm down, dear, of course you didn't mean to. But being enthusiastic about things like that made it sound like you did. Now, kids, Kara and Frodides have undoubtedly been busy with packing the food for the travellers, but they should have some blackcurrant juice in their stores. What if we go and have a mug of warm juice?"
"But I want to see Lord Eodwine leave," piped little Leothern and the boys murmured in agreement.
"Don't worry, we can come back to see him off, we still have some time. Come on."
Leothern, Cnebba and Garmund followed her immediately, and after hesitating a little, Javan came too.