View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #532
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Never had he felt so betrayed. He stood for a long moment in disbelief. Dan had been his loyal companion ever since he had come to Scarburg. How could he put him, all of Scarburg, in danger? Slowly he felt his anger begin to swell and his breath came in long blasts.

Long ago, on the very first day Erbrand had first come to Scarburg, he had encountered a stranger spying upon Scarburg; however, the stranger had been able to escape the Erbrand. Lord Eodwine had sent Dan to track down and find the stranger and brought back someone called Scyld, a shifty character. If Scyld was not the stranger Erbrand had first encountered nearly four months ago, then this was indeed the same character that had dealt him these bruises. Oeric was the stranger’s name then, Erbrand would not forget it.

“Are there any other people whom you have failed to mention?” Erbrand’s tone was angry and filled with hatred. Dan didn’t speak and shook his head. The poor little fellow looked as if he might cry and looked very pitiable.

“Ahh,” Erbrand exclaimed in frustration, torn between pity and contempt. “I can’t blame all of this on you, Dan, my friend. There must have been good reason for you to keep this news secret for this long.” Dan’s face lit up with joy. Erbrand almost smiled, Dan looked just like a child.

Together they walked to the edge of camp and Erbrand told Dan of the fight in detail. If Oeric was indeed spying on Scarburg, what would be the gain? Was he in on it alone or was someone hiring him? The landlords, who had visited last month, immediately came to mind, but there was no proof of it. The only way to find out for sure was to catch this Oeric and question him.

“Shall we tell Saeryn of this fight?” Dan asked as they were about to enter camp. Erbrand rubbed his chin for moment in thought.

“I don’t think so. Saeryn will have a lot of issues on her mind with the arrival of the new lord,” he paused for a moment and looked at the crowd gathered around the wagons. I wonder what type of a fellow this new lord is? “But let us not think on that for now. If this Oeric fellow is wise, he will lay low for a couple of days.”

“You still haven’t answered my question Erbrand, who are we going to tell? Remember, you nearly got killed due to my silence.”

“True, my friend,” again Erbrand paused and thought. “My advice is for us not trouble lady Saeryn with this. I’m not too sure of this new lord, but he will have to know sooner or later. Besides, Thornden will doubtlessly maintain some of his former prestige and he will know what to do.”

After they had put Erbrand’s horse, Traveler, back in the stables, both headed for the Meadhall; however, they were informed that Thornden, lady Saeryn, and the new nobles were in a counsel and were under no circumstances to be disturbed. Erbrand grimaced, Are they trying to take control already? Now, now, give this Athanar fellow (I think that’s his name) a chance, he might be very good. The door opened suddenly and out walked a soldier. Erbrand grabbed him by the arm and forced him to stop as he tried to slide past.

“How goes the counsel?”

Suddenly, Erbrand realized that this was not one of the soldiers native to Scarburg. Erbrand released his grip as if he had been holding a red hot brand. The informality of the old Scarburg under Eodwine’s rule had finally begun to sink in; however, lady Saeryn had warned Scarburg that nothing but the best behavior was to be expected of them when Athanar arrives. Erbrand stood a little stunned with what he had done.