View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1530
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I read Dante's Inferno last year and loved it. I read it in English but I could understand some of the original text. The copy I have has the English translation on the right page and the original text on left page. To be honest I am not fully sure if the original is in Latin or an early form of Italian. I think it is a mix of both but I understood some of it, I take Italian in school so I can kind of read it.
It is Italian unless my course teacher fooled me... My mum recommended trying to find an English translation because the Finnish one is so bad. Or well, it's not bad, but it was translated by a (very famous) poet who wanted to be true to the original poetic form and loved old-fashioned language, so it is at times very confusing. And I think I'd be above avarage both in understanding archaic language and poetry. *sigh* But oh well, I will finish it and it is still enjoyable at times.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote