View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #188
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Wolf PMs (Night 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mod of Amon Lanc
Your WW role
Congratulations! You are a Werewolf. Your spirit has possessed a body of one of the explorers and now you are here to destroy the rest of the expedition to make yourself free. Your fellow Werewolves are Bes, Mnemosyne and Nerwen, you can communicate with them by PMs at Night. Each Night, you and your mates agree on one person to kill and then you send the message about whom you have picked to me. Your goal is to remain alive until there are as many Werewolves as the remaining innocents.
Good luck for your plotting!
Note: For your own good do not reveal your role on the thread by any means; even if you are about to be lynched (like these resignated „okay, you got me, bye“ posts).
Night 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Hail packmates!
Dear comrades in tooth and claw,
I'm pleased and honoured to hunt with you. We have some formidable opponents, but I'm confident we'll taste their sweet blood before the end and destroy this miserable expedition.
This is my first game as a wolf, so I'd naturally appreciate any hints and suggestions how to go about it. Bes, you're new, but have you played anything similar before? Mnemo, I actually don't know how many games you've played (I'll never forget the one you modded, though!), but I don't remember seeing you as a wolf before. Luckily, Nerwen at least is a seasoned veteran.
It's probably too early to discuss strategy yet, but the rules look like they don't have a Seer this time, which should make our job a bit easier. On the other hand, there's a pesky secret role which might work against us* (unless, maybe, one of us has it : ?)...
Looking forward to hear from you,
Pitchwolf
*Guess what? It did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bes
Hey there.
Nice to be working with you three. I never imagined I'd be a wolf in my very first game!
In response to Pitchwife: This is the first game very much like this I've played, based on the description of how it's usually played that I received from Roa. The closest I've come to it is the Mafia card game, and that's much more instinct and face reading.
So, do we get right down to business then? Do we kill someone tonight? If so, how should we pick them?
Quote:
Re: Hey there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bes
So, do we get right down to business then? Do we kill someone tonight? If so, how should we pick them?
Conventionally, the Night 1 kill is the Mod - in our case, judging from the narration so far, the captain of the ship. So I expect Legate will take care of his own demise in the narration without any need for us to get our claws bloody.
As to picking our kills early in the game, from what I've seen so far there's two (well, actually three) approaches to this:
1. Kill the loudmouths - i.e. take out an active player who talks a lot and makes good points before they can become a threat to us. (Disadvantage: the loudmouths have a nice habit to suspect one another, which of course can distract them and the rest from us; I think Nogrod and Roa are almost famous for this.)
2. No trail kills - i.e. kill somebody who hasn't posted a lot and hasn't voiced any serious suspicion against any of us, so that the poor innocents won't be able to draw any conclusions from the kill.
3. I almost forgot this, but it's actually the First Commandment: Thou shalt not suffer a Gifted to live.
We'll just have to wait, see and choose according to the situation, as the game unfolds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Re: Hail packmates!
Hail! And welcome to the deep end of the alignment pool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
This is my first game as a wolf, so I'd naturally appreciate any hints and suggestions how to go about it.
Well, on Day One all we really need to do is avoid the noose. We should also try and spot the gifteds if possible... they can often be picked by their jumpy, often "wolfish" manner. In fact, if all the innocents start saying "X looks wolfish", and X isn't one of us, X might well be a gifted.
The main general advice I can give you and Mnemo is to try and play as much like you normally do as you can. You two are rather vulnerable, though, as everyone will expect you both to post something of substance. So make sure all your cases and lists look well-reasoned.
Bes, as a newbie you'll be immune from lynching on Day One, unless you actually confess or something. If you have time, you might want to read through one or two of the previous games to get the hang of it. (However, bear in mind that the rules change with pretty much every game.) Don't worry if you're a bit confused early in the game, as it will tend to make you look more innocent... as though you couldn't possibly be a wolf who had had other wolves give you lessons on Night One.
The important thing is not to let the village see there are connections between us... especially, don't go all out to save a packmate from lynching. That doesn't mean you have to lynch your fellows- just don't try so hard to save one that you give yourself away in the process. (Mnemo and Pitch know this stuff already, of course, so I'm really talking to Bes here.)
Quote:
It's probably too early to discuss strategy yet, but the rules look like they don't have a Seer this time, which should make our job a bit easier.
Yes, but the Hunter and Ranger know each other's identities and can pm; also the Hunter gets three shots. That could make things difficult. On the other hand (paw?), it might make it easier to spot them...
Quote:
On the other hand, there's a pesky secret role which might work against us (unless, maybe, one of us has it : ?)...
No use worrying about that yet. I just hope it's not a renegade wolf!
~Nerwolf.
Quote:
Re: Hail packmates!
Quote:
The important thing is not to let the village see there are connections between us... especially, don't go all out to save a packmate from lynching.
Yep, the less we're seen working together in broad Daylight the better. And being wolves, we should be comfortable with natural selection, shouldn't we? Meaning if any of us manage to get themselves in serious danger of getting lynched, I'd suggest they're on their own.
Quote:
Yes, but the Hunter and Ranger know each other's identities and can pm; also the Hunter gets three shots. That could make things difficult. On the other hand (paw?), it might make it easier to spot them...
Darn, I forgot about the three shots, thanks for reminding me. A good argument for killing the Hunter soon, if we can. So we want to look out for any two people who either seem to be playing into each other's hands, or on the other paw pointedly ignoring each other so as not to give themselves away.
Quote:
No use worrying about that yet. I just hope it's not a renegade wolf!
The thought has crossed my mind, too. That would be a real nuisance - but it's only a might-be, so let's not start out mistrusting one another because of the mere possibility.
Quote:
FW: Hail packmates!
Quote:
Yep, the less we're seen working together in broad Daylight the better. And being wolves, we should be comfortable with natural selection, shouldn't we? Meaning if any of us manage to get themselves in serious danger of getting lynched, I'd suggest they're on their own.
I forgot to say, though, let's not fall into the opposite error of obviously knowing too much. Anyone who "suspects" a packmate needs to be able to point to a good reason for doing so. Otherwise it becomes a question of, "Wait a moment, how did Nerwen know Mnemo was a wolf?"
Quote:
Darn, I forgot about the three shots, thanks for reminding me. A good argument for killing the Hunter soon, if we can.
Yes- a lot of wolves want to avoid the Hunter at all costs, but these modified Hunters have to die as soon as possible. The longer they live, the more chance they have of catching one of us.
However, it depends... if it looks like one of us has been spotted already, we may need to rethink this.