View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Tolkien Tolkien Compared to Contemporary Authors

There are many reasons we love Tolkien's writings. Not only does he make prose absolutely sing with his unparalleled mastery of language, but his pages are enriched with beautiful poetry, and symbolism so deep it can take years for the wisest of scholars to wade through, yet it is so very human and natural that children can understand his themes. It's epic, timeless, universal. Does he stand alone?

Sure, we know all the classics that he's often compared to! C.S. Lewis and MacDonald, of course, and other literary giants like Dickens and Austen. Then there are the more contemporary fantasists (if that's what you call them) like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. We all know them and they are widely loved.

What I'm looking for is contemporary, non-fantasy authors who you think have skills on a level like Tolkien, who may not be as well known as the classics and big names. Let's widen our literary horizons! Who have you discovered, and what is it about their writing that can compare to the Man himself? Is it versatility of writing style? Clever turns of phrase? A raw and heart-wrenching true story that reveals deeper truths, or a suspension of disbelief so expertly created that you almost forget it isn't real? Or, do you think that there is simply nothing that compares?

I'd love to hear what the Barrow-Downs has in it's library - on the lower shelves, obviously.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote