View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #618
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
P.S. x-ed with Zil, who is quite right, of course. Here we go again...
I know, I'm sorry.
But the idea that the WK, whose power was derived from Sauron (himself a diminished Maia) could be superior, or even on a level playing field with Gandalf, has on me the effect that saying Balrogs had wings would have on some others here.

I don't see much in the way of parallels between Gandalf's return and the Resurrection. I'm wary of delving too deeply into comparisions with Christianity here, but the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ were planned events, the purpose of which was to redeem mankind from sin.
Gandalf's sacrifice was, I think, incidental. He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and was guiding and guarding the Ring-bearer, whose success was the key to the fulfillment of Gandalf's greater quest, the fall of Sauron. As far as Gandalf knew at that moment, he was the sole person present capable of facing the Balrog, and giving his companions an opportunity to escape. He then accepted the challenge, with the knowledge that the Balrog might well destroy his physical body. When that body did die, his selflessness and dedication to the cause for which he had been sent was duly noted by the Authority in the West, and he was allowed to return for a brief time to finish his task.

Last edited by Inziladun; 12-30-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote