View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
I'm confused...where in the history of the One Ring did it ever beget peace, riches and supermodel spouses?

Power, that's all it gives. Control of others to do what they would not do otherwise.
I'm also confused. Does power not come in handy obtaining supermodel spouses, riches and peace?
Quote:
I would try my best to refuse it. We say now that we wouldn't accept it, but we wouldn't really know until we came into contact with it, and by then it might be too late. Even the least power-hungry person could be attracted to it. It's probably best that rings like that don't exist.
Maybe the One Ring is lost but there are plenty of lesser Rings of Power still out there, and even they are very dangerous for mortal men. And most ringbearers really do start out with the best intentions. Take for example the fight against terrorism or the fight against drugs. Noble intentions yes, but at the moment it looks like the war against the phenomena in question is causing much more problems than the phenomena itself. Or here in my country we have the fight to stop men from abusing women, a very noble cause. But not seldom this in practice has meant easing the burden of proof if a woman accuses a man of something, and in some cases innocent men have been send away on long prison sentences because of ludicrous charges without any real evidence.