View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
At some point in time Tolkien sold the film rights for The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit, not, I imagine, because he thought that it would further his artistic goals, but rather to make a buck. He could of course not foresee that this would lead to M-E styled on-line gambling many years later, and if he did, perhaps he would've made a different decision, but as it is, that's a moot question. He did make the deal, and now the present owners are trying to make the most out of that investment, unsurprisingly.

If you don't like the way they milk the franchise to the last drop, don't buy the products. Convince your friends to do likewise. It is after all a (somewhat) free world, and that's how we (most of us) want it.
While I agree with you to a point - I don't actually think that this crosses a line not already crossed ( my personal rubicon of what constituted offence to Tolkien was passed way back with Faramir being turned into a complete git ...) . And I believe in the power of the consumer.

I would point out that Tolkien's hand was forced to an extent by the extreme taxation in effect at the time (I found all the details for another thread and without ressurecting that I think he was in the position of having to pay supertax on income he hadn't then received. I am not saying that he had to sell to put food on the table but it was a decision made under fiscal duress. I doubt he had any idea that a film deal would entail all this other stuff.

My only comfort is that presumably some royalties will filter back down to the Tolkien Charitable Trust which does so much good for causes that Tolkien would have approved of. And it seems rather churlish to accuse Tolkien and his family of greed when you look at the accounts of the trust....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote