View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I find the 'very rough' Elessar text problematic in general, for example: why would Galadriel desire the stone in the Third Age after Gandalf arrives?
Indeed. When she already had possession of Nenya, for her to desire a stone with similar powers of healing and preservation as the Three makes little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
'For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt.'

Granted, further description states or implies that the lands about the wielder grew fair, but, and this is just my personal opinion (and as of today), I think I prefer the Elessar being limited to this initial description, as I read it anyway -- by which I mean I am interpreting a lesser power here, in comparison to Nenya, based on this passage alone.
I tend toward that interpretation also, with the Elessar aiding the physical healing of beings as well. To me, that would explain how Aragorn's healing ability (though he already had displayed some native healing power, probably through his Maia and elvish blood) seems to make a large leap forward when he enters Minas Tirith with the Elessar in his keeping.