View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Gorthaur the Cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I agree Gorthaur... heal a trodden flower and it is, at least in some sense, 'preserved', but it will then wither and die according to its natural cycle.

Nenya preserves a flower for centuries (however long), unwithered, and Galadriel does not have to minister to each flower specifically, but all trees and flowers in her realm fall under Nenya's sway... but this too must ultimately fail.
Yes, Nenya must fail because it was linked to the One and because of Galadriel's final choice to reject the Great Ring. But I believe, the will of Eru and his intentions for the elves to live in Valinor and Sauron's binding of the Three aside, the Three could have warded off time and decay indefinitely. Afterall, they were the pinnacle of Celebrimbor's craft. Those who held them could truly create enchanted paradise East of the sea, especially Nenya, which Tolkien intended later in life as the 'Chief of the Three'. Remember the feeling Frodo felt when he touched the mallorn in Lorien. He could feel the delight and life of the tree itself. I believe the Three were more than capable of preserving realms and Elves' bodies until the life-age of the earth reaches its end. Unfortunately, the glory was short-lived thanks to Sauron's deceits.

And yes, I agree with you Galin, that the Elessar needed to be individually administrated to the flora and fauna. How inconvenient and time-consuming and frustrating, for it cannot even last. Now, suppose the Three were freed from the One's grasp and survived after the One had gone, could the Three possibly cover the entire Middle-Earth in its preserving and healing sway? Or is the extent of the effect only equivalent to the likes of Lorien--a small forest and seemingly equivalent in size as Nan Elmoth of Beleriand?

Last edited by Gorthaur the Cruel; 03-12-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Gorthaur the Cruel is offline   Reply With Quote