View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Boromir's death is not in vain; without it, the chain of events that are caused by Merry and Pippin would not have happened. Those two might not be given a chance to grow and live up to their potential. The Ents might never have woken up.
Yes it would, yes they would, and yes they would.
Meaning I don't think Merry & Pip would have died if not for Boromir's intervention. Those Orcs had orders to take any halflings alive, hadn't they? And so they did, and all of Boromir's valour couldn't prevent them - all he achieved with his last stand was to atone for his earlier fall for the lure of the Ring and save his own soul, so to speak (which is quite enough for me, don't get me wrong). Otherwise, the story would have gone on just the same if Boromir hadn't crossed swords with a single Orc at Parth Galen - at least until the fall of Isengard. Later in Gondor, of course, things would have got interesting again.