View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #15
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorus
Where did the extra O in heruo come from? I've never seen that before. Other than that, that seems to be a solid translation.
It's the genitive ending, like the English 's in "Lord's"; IIRC somehow related to the preposition o "from". Sindarin lost it together with all other final vowels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorus
BTW, did you write the translation yourself or did you get it from somewhere? I'd like to see the source, if that is possible.
Made it myself, as I don't think I've seen that particular phrase anywhere before. If you're interested in Quenya/Sindarin vocabulary and grammar, I can highly recommend Ardalambion - it's a great site covering all of Tolkien's invented languages, and the Elvish ones quite comprehensively; I learned everything I know about Q and S there.