View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #14
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Do you know Tom=Witch King crackpot theory has a continuation?

You all know this brilliant theory: Tom Bombadil and the Witch-king of Angmar are the same person.
I have written a continuation, freely plagiarizing the original, I must admit.
I aim to answer the question:

If Tom is indeed no other than the Witch-King of Angmar, then who is Goldberry?

Goldberry and Galadriel are the same person.

1. You never see the two of them together.

2. Note name similarities: both names start with G.

3. Galadriel has rare golden hair - exactly like Goldberry.

4: Hobbits perceive Goldberry as "a fair young elf-queen" - Now, isn't it damning? How many "fair elf-queens" are there in ME?

5. Goldberry poses as a "river-daughter", makes rain for her washing-days, likes water-lilies etc. Galadriel is in possession of the Ring of Water - which enables her water-magick both in the guise of Goldberry and as Galadriel.

6. Note that although Elrond admits knowledge of Tom Bombadil, he avoids to mention Goldberry. Of course, even if the double-life of his mother-in-law is known to him, he wouldn't speak of it!

7. Perhaps most damning, however, are Galadriel' words to Frodo: "Only thrice have you set the Ring upon your finger since you knew what you possessed."(LOTR, The Mirror of Galadriel") Now, how would she know that? Aragorn could have briefed her on the incidents in Bree and at Weathertop, but how would she know what happened in Tom's house? - Because she was there in person, that's how.

8. Have you ever wondered why Galadriel took time and effort to search the thoughts of even the least of the hobbits in the Fellowship? I think she was concerned that she might have been recognized as Goldberry and her double-life revealed.

9. In Lorien Galadriel says to Frodo: "I say to you, Frodo, that even as I speak to you, I perceive the Dark Lord and know his mind, or all of his mind that concerns the Elves."
Now, how is this possible? No, really?

The answer is simple, Ladies and Gentelmen, obviously she has some inside information about Sauron's plans and the source of this information is obviously her lover the Witch-King. Remember, he becomes a real chatterbox in his guise of Tom...

10. Want more? Please. Galadriel says: "Verily it is in the land of Lórien upon the finger of Galadriel that one of the Three remains. [Sauron] suspects, but he does not know – not yet.-LOTR"
Very well, Sauron doesn't know about Nenya, but the Witch-King does: "But the power of the White Ring the Morgul Lord would not defy, nor enter yet into Lórien."- (UT The Hunt for the Ring). Of course he knows about Nenya: he has seen Goldberry use it so many times! But naturally he can't tell Sauron about it, without disclosing his double life.

And note this "nor enter yet into Lórien" - it seems the WK and Galadriel had some plans for the future. Perhaps the WK planned to take Celeborn's place? After all, there is not a single Elf-chick that won't prefer a Man to an Elf (Luthien, Idril, Nellas, Finduilas, Mithrellas - the list is long). Men are hot -even the cold undead ones.

...Yep: I think we have an airtight case here.

....Of course, all this brings up the curiosity of motive. What would make Galadriel sport such a double identity? I suppose the proud Noldo Lady felt trapped in a loveless marriage with this boring and not-too bright pompous dude Celeborn, and tired of the fair, but lifeless, embalmed Lorien.
She used the guise of Goldberry to temporary put all cares behind and to feel happy, young and carefree. While on "vacations" in the woods of Cardolan, she fell in with the Witch-King, who had a similar agenda. They used to enjoy brief moments of freedom and happiness together, hidden in the magick Old Forest. No wonder the pair kept their relationship top secret from both Sauron and Celeborn.

And note: she left Middle Earth right after the Witch-King found his death at the Pelennor, leaving her husband Celeborn behind. No doubt, for Galadriel the life in ME had lost all its appeal without the joys of her "other identity" as Goldberry

And more:

It looks like Frodo was the son of Tom and Goldberry, that is Witchy and Galadriel.

He was born so small (hobbit-sized) because his dad was strictly speaking not really alive, so he only got half the necessary genes. Still he was "taller than some and fairer than most" and had such soulful blue eyes... Many an observer commented on his elvishness, and his "wraithiness" -"a hint as it were of transparency about him", and at the end, in line with his peculiar ancestry, he was to become "like a glass filled with a clear light"
Naturally, his mom Galadriel couldn't bring him along to Lorien at the end of her yearly vacations, so she put the baby into a basket and sent him floating down the Brandywine. Floating past the nearest settlement - the Buckland - the baby was saved and adopted by Bagginses, oblivious to his true lineage.

Do you think Frodo could ever succeed without the help of his parents?

Frodo had no idea, poor thing, why these two mighty people helped him all the time...His dad saved him from OMW and the Wights and later deliberately missed his heart at Weathertop and let him escape at the Ford and in the Morgul Vale. His mom even refused the Ring offered by her little son and gave him the Star-glass.
Frodo's niece Arwen presented him with her own ticket for the Paradise Island. All becomes so clear now...

Taken from Edelor's posts HERE
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote