View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Hehe, BB and Form, if you think you're lengthy, I must really be far removed from my "novels" in defense of Boromir's character. I hope you know you've awoken a long slumbering bear.

First then to Bethberry's excellent perspective on the two different writing styles and the difference in Boromir as we see him in the action, and the "reflections" of his character after death. It's even seen in obituaries, where we highlight sort of the "best" qualities of the person's life, and not any mistakes the person may have made in life. We have this concept, out of respect for the dead, we should not mock the dead. And so this I think does well to explain the highlights of Boromir's better qualities, in the various reflections of him after death.

Even in Frodo's talk with Faramir, Faramir can tell (and all the readers too) that Frodo was tempering his true feelings of Boromir. We know they did not part on friendly terms, but I think Frodo is making a conscious effort (either for his own safety or for Faramir's sake) not to completely trash Boromir in front of his own brother.

However, I think what's important to note here is that Faramir's love for Boromir is not a blind love. We see that Faramir has a very accurate and to the point assessment of his brother's character. He doesn't have this blind, oogling, admiration for his great big-brother, and it's not a "he's my brother, I'm obligated to love him" kind of love.

Quote:
'I can well believe that Boromir, the proud and fearless, often rash, ever anxious for the victory of Minas Tirith (and his own glory therein), might desire such a thing and be allured by it.'~The Window on the West
I mean you could hardly guess that type of assessment coming from Boromir's brother. It's more scathing about Boromir, than anything Frodo said to Faramir.

Quote:
'Ah, than it is as I thought: your trouble was with Boromir alone. He wished this thing brought to Minas Tirith. Alas! It is a crooked fate that seals your lips who saw him last, and holds from me what which I long to know: what was his in his heart and thought in his latest hours. Whether he erred or no, of this I am sure: he died well, acheiving some good thing. His face was more beautiful even in life.'~ibid
Which I think puts a different read on the Appendix quote about the "great love" which existed between the two brothers. Sadly, we only see what Faramir thought of Boromir, and not vice versa. However, I don't think you choose the words "great love" without it being something true and sincere. Faramir's love for his brother is not blind, that in and of itself is I think revealing to Boromir's entire character, since Faramir knows his brother had flaws. But in the end, great love still existed between the two, so...why?

But leaving Boromir "after death" aside for now, let's look at him from the Council to his death.

Pride is, for me, this ying and yang deadly sin. You have ofermod, excessive pride, and arrogance which Boromir definitely displays a lot of...and I think we can agree that Boromir at the Council and his attempt to take the Ring, are Boromir at his worst. Also, it frighteningly represents the type of person Boromir is capable of becoming. Gandalf just let the entire Council informed of Saruman's treachery and Boromir still flat out says "aye, Saruman's a traitor, but isn't the dude kind of right?"

Quote:
'It is a gift, I say; a gift to the foes of Mordor. It is mad not to use it, to use the power of the Enemy against him. The fearless, the ruthless, these alone will achieve victory.'~The Breaking of the Fellowship
I bold ruthless, because I don't know about you, but I don't consider that such a "good" quality, or anything at all to brag about. Yet, in Boromir's madness, he seems to think so. These represent the worst of Boromir, because I think it shows given Boromir's character, who he is capable of becoming, which even I admit...isn't such a good looking man.

However, let's not look at who Boromir was capable of becoming, but instead look at who he did become.

I look at the Council Boromir, and see more childish ignorance than the evil deadly Pride. I say that, because just look at his attitudes to Lorien and Moria, and his whining when things don't go his way. I mean honestly, it's like a little kid stomping his feet, and then pouting about not having any friends and no one listening to him.

But seriously now, of course Boromir's going to come to the Council toting on about Gondor and being Gondor-centric. At this time, what, he's 41-42? By the story's standards, that's still pretty young, and all his life he was brought up in Gondor, which is now in war-time (apparently been to Rohan a few times too). Point being though, as the next-in-line Steward, during these troubling times, he has the tremendous expectations to make sure there even is a Gondor there for Aragorn. He's already had war thrust upon him, with Sauron's attack on Osgiliath, and with a father who makes clear he has no qualms with "spending the lives of his sons." (Siege of Gondor), I think it's easy to see the Gondor-centric attitude. Especially at a Council, which stock full of old, immortal, wise uppity know-it-alls. All talk and no action. (I'm being purposefully difficult here, to at least try and implant the Council from Boromir's perspective. As opposed to Frodo's, who of course decided to comment on Boromir's "mocking" laugh towards Bilbo, and from that point on had a grudge. )

However, let's see the growth that takes place in Boromir from the Council to his death. In his deathbed confessions to Aragorn he admits to Aragorn he attempted to take the Ring from Frodo. But it goes even beyond admittance of wrong-doing, it is an acceptance of his own fault in it, and he now paid the price for his own mistake...his life, which is the steepest price to pay.

Quote:
'I tried to take the Ring from Frodo,' he said. 'I am sorry. I have paid.'~The Departure of Boromir
Now by growth, I wonder if you believe if Council-Boromir attempted to take the Ring soon after the Fellowship left, would he have been able to respond in the same way that he does at Parth Galen?

Taking onto Form's point then, how perhaps Boromir's redemption does not fit with the Council-Boromir, nor the arrogance he shows. Aside from narrational bias of Frodo, I think Boromir can also show the good quality of Pride. Now, I realize not all are going to agree with me on this point, but I think it's Boromir's own pride which allows him to realize he is "better" than his attempt to take the Ring. Boromir also represents the good aspect of Pride...pride and confidence in your own self-worth. It is Boromir's pride and honor, which allows him to have one of those "I'm better than this" moments.

I find it ironic that with Boromir there seems to be the love him-hate him polarization, where someone like Grima or Gollum strike up more sympathy. Not saying that anyone has this opinion, but I do see irony in the "pitying" of Grima, but how easily put off one can be by Boromir. That could be do to Boroimr's Pride (something Gollum and Grima have little of), however I think there are a few other explanations too.

Grima and Gollum both fall short of forgiveness. They can't go beyond "pity," thus like Gandalf to Grima, and Frodo to Gollum, we may feel sorry and sympathize with their stories (or we may not). Boromir steps beyond Pity, into forgiveness. So, we either agree with Aragorn and Gandalf that he was "saved" and we are "glad," or we are left wondering...wait a second this seems out of place with the Boromir we met at the Council and after.

Here's the difference though, Boromir's "good" Pride allows him to recognize his own fault in trying to take the Ring from Frodo. He only goes so far as to say a "madness" took him, he never says "It was the Ring that made me." He does quite the opposite by saying "I tried to..." and "I am sorry. I have paid."

Grima and Gollum on the other hand, pass off blame to the outside factors. Gollum kills Deagol because the Ring was "his birthday present" and he felt he deserved it. Grima poisons his king, tries to steal a woman, and actually eats a hobbit, but all says "Saruman made me do it." They have little Pride (good or bad) and in the end never take responsibility for their choices. So, they can never be forgiven, but we look at them through sympathetic-colored specs, because of their "sad" stories. While at times, probably playing down the simple facts that they killed, betrayed, murdered, and never reached forgiveness.

For Boromir, I see Form's point about the narrational bias of Frodo. It could very well be that in Frodo's hero-worship of Gandalf and Aragorn was "put off" by Boromir's arrogance at the Council and therefor the bad first impression (combined with the bad final impression, which was never reconciled), leaves the Fellowship Boromir as a jarring contrast to the "redeemed" Boromir.

However, if you remove Frodo, we see the better parts of Boromir. This is not to say Frodo is wrong (as is evidenced by Faramir's own honest assessment of his brother), but simply that Frodo doesn't know the full picture of Boromir. As is evidenced by Faramir's honest assessment, Pippin's reflection, and Boromir's "good" Pride. So in short, like Legate, I think I like the answer of "both" the best.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-20-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote