View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #138
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Also, HP is action action action. Most of the "interesting parts" are the ones with action, and when there isn't that much of it, the book just sounds soooo boring and tedious. On the other hand, when you read LOTR, even though action is involved, its by far not the most important thing. The book isn't based on action, but JRRT used some action to illustrate some ideas. And the parts without any action are just as good, and carry just as many (if not more) messages.
I would have to disagree. HP isn't just "action, action, action," it's composed of other things as well. Feelings=facts? Hardly, there's emotion in there too, there's TONS of it. You have to read book 1-7 to see it all though. I quite enjoy the lore of the HP world as much as I do LotR's. What's "interesting" to you, won't be to someone else, so opinions will vary on "the 'interesting parts' are the ones with action". I love the wizarding world of Harry Potter and have since I was a child. I'll admit there are things in it that are similar IE the Whomping Willow and Old Man Willow, the Nazgul and Dementors, Wormtongue and Wormtail,Shelob/Aragog and the effects the locket of Regulus Black had on the wearer (even then the effects were different, the locket made people feel angry, while the One Ring made them feel...greed, perhaps?).

You can't compare Voldemort to Sauron because books set in the fantasy world usually tend to have a "Dark Lord". But that really doesn't mean she stole anything from JRRT, I mean honestly, how many of you have actually created something and then a few days later you find that someone else has an idea very similar to yours and is writing about it. Are you going to jump to conclusions and shout plagiarism? What if that person has never even read what you first created? No doubt if you go to other fantasy themed books you'll find smaller or larger similarities to Tolkien's works.

JK was influenced by MacBeth, the Iliad, the Pardoner's Tale from the Canterbury Tales, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. She even gives props to Tolkien in an interview saying how he created a whole new mythology, something in which she never could have hoped to accomplish.

Other than that her books are NOTHING like the Lord of the Rings. I love both series and think both to be brilliant writers.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 12-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote