View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #7
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am (obviously) a huge fan of Professor Tolkien's works and am thus inclined to defend my opinions and his ideas regarding his works against misconceptions and derrogatory statements. I love the relationship between Frodo and Sam, and never once found it overdone to the extent that one could assume that they were lovers. It is a far more subtle relationship, and one that, I think, cannot be fully grasped and appreciated by today's younger generations. I think, in all honesty and with no intention of criticizing Peter Jackson or any actors in Lord of the Rings, that the way their relationship takes place on screen will inevitably lead mass audiences of Tolkien-ignorant youths to come to the conclusion that perhaps the relationship between Frodo and Sam is not simply one of friendship. Sadly, I can understand how several of the scenes between Frodo and Sam, particularly in the Two Towers movie, could be misconstrued as containing innuendo. I do not fault Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin or Professor Tolkien for this, however, as their relationship is a very complex one and hard to fully convey on the big screen.