View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It changes...

Originally I loved the 'Downs because I was a shy and brainy high school student with no peers I could talk to about literature. My first foray onto this site offered me a thoughtful and welcoming discussion about Tolkien's application of scientific/environmental realism in his narrative. For a kid that was simultaneously immersed in a book debunking the made up science used in Jurassic Park, that kind of open acceptance of literary (and generally academic) questioning was amazing.

Then I loved the 'Downs because I was learning how to write. On the threads I was learning how to express intellectual thought clearly and with complexity. In the RPs, I had a safe place to experiment with elements of narrative craft. With the world of the stories already existent, I was offered the opportunity to practice dialog, construction of primary and secondary characters, action sequences, and everything else, under the watchful eye of accomplished writers who were always encouraging and helpful.

Then I enjoyed the werewolf games. They gave me a faultless/harmless opportunity to see to how I'd fare as a detective or a criminal.

Then I was beginning to teach how to write. At some point when I hadn't noticed, I'd graduated from hesitant novice to confident young artist, and my credibility as a resource was solid. The opportunity presented to me to hone my ability not just to write well, but to help others refine their own craft was priceless.

Then my interaction with many Barrowdowners migrated to other venues. The locale of our second date was Livejournal, where I came to know the less edited thoughts of many of my compatriots. Personal and intellectual lives blended more freely and more complex interpersonal relationships formed. Then we as a group shifted to that seedy venue, Facebook, where the line between virtual and reality smudges even more. Though my participation as an active member here has waned, my interaction with other Barrowdowners outside the site has skyrocketed, and I've met many Barrowdowners in person (not to mention created a few!). Nienna, Mirandir, Lariren Shadow, Alona. Brinniel, Rikae, Skype-Mac. Later, Real-Mac. Formendacil, Boromir88, Kath, the phantom, Shasta, Diamond18, Encaitare, Glirdan, Wilwa, Rune, Celuien. Nog, Lommy, Greenie, Agan. Bethberry.

I originally loved the site because it offered me a safe intellectual environment (that was also fun and funny!). I now love the site because it is the gravitational center of my sprawling network of Family.