View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #27
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf Weak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameofAnor View Post
I think when we think of a 'wizard' nowadays, we think of a powerful conjurer like we see in movies and other fantasy stories. I don't think Tolkien wanted his wizards to be quite so stereotypical, Mickey Mouse in a point hat, type characters. Plus, I like Gandalf's bit of subtly when dealing with minor enemies, like those creatures. It makes his confrontation and power against more sinister forces, like the Balrog, more epic.
I don't know. Tolkien was a linguist. I might argue that the greater spells are in words and in courage. Mere fireballs are weak in comparison. One of my favorite examples, Eowyn exchanging prophecies with the Witch King...

Quote:
A sword rang as it was drawn. 'Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.'

'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eommond's daughter. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.'
One doesn't have to be a great wizard to wield words in a decisive way. If one dares to exchange words with a Nazgul, if the Nazgul makes a mistake in his prophecy...

Another example of non-wizardry magic might be oath breaking. The folk who lived along the Paths of the Dead broke an oath, which gave Isildur the power to declare an appropriate curse.

The magic of Middle Earth isn't weak and it isn't necessarily subtle. It's just different. Throwing fire or teleporting might be major physical manifestations of magic, but manipulating fate through words is nothing to sneer at.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote