View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
The Valar are not lazy. They made mistakes. They acted wrongly and at the wrong times. Say whatever you want, bt they are NOT lazy.
Well, they could have certainly worked harder, considering they are both gods and rulers.

Quote:
Coming back to the topic. I think that even if one of the Valar came upon a Silmaril accidentally, they wouldn't take it. They've learned how much damage greed/lust over such things can cause. They didn't want to repeat 1st age all over again, destroying the rest of ME in the process.
I'm not too sure about that. After all, if they did not want anything to do with the Silmarils, they would not have let Eärendil come to Valinor and bind one upon his brow. And the First Age, sad to say, was partially their fault, for cursing the Elves in the first place, when they already knew the whole mission of the Noldor would lead to disaster.

Quote:
The Silmarils are simply too powerful. As Melian said about something else, "the heart of the maker still lives in [them]". They flame up the world as soon as they are touched. In a way, they control the fate of Arda. I'm not sure how much of a stress this is, but in another way they are like three One Rings: having some will of their own. Maybe they just didn't want to be found?
Powerful? I think of them as something akin to money. Not terribly powerful just lying there, but powerful when the demand for them rises so that half a continent is swallowed by the Sea. I don't think they were too much like the One Ring (or any of the Rings), since Tolkien explicitly stated that it had a mind of its own, but I don't recall him saying any such thing about the Silmarils. Even so, you do have a point. It seems strange that they should be affiliated with the elements - earth, water and air - when they originally had nothing to do with them.