View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #41
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great posts! Glad that I stumbled upon this thread. Anyway...

- The dream has no sender. It's possible that Númenórean blood imparts a sensitivity to the Music. Persons can 'hear' bits and bars of the history of Arda being (re)played out. But, you may say, this dream of Faramir's includes a 'do this' phrase that wouldn't come from just passively receiving the Music (like in Frodo's dreams). However, if the Steward's sons are hearing the Music, and seeing what is to come, they would see that one of the two of them will be 'seeking' Imladris, and so interpret (maybe fuzzily) what they hear as a command.

- The dream has a sender. I believe that Eru or one of the Valar have sent the dream, and earlier posters have made my argument. That said, if there is a sender, do you think that the sender hit his/her/its target? Did the 'intended' brother go north? If so, then why was Faramir so inundated with it? If not, then what does that say about the dream-sending mechanism?