Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #173
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
The actress playing Tauriel seems worried about any hate that may be swung her way by book fans for actually playing an invented character. I can't see it coming in the way of personal attacks, more of the anger seems directed towards Jackson's decision and the role itself. But then again, you see how much hate can be in a person, and the actress' worries aren't surprising.

A bit of respect and opennessto discussion over the good and bad with the new movies could go a long way to welcoming new members
I would like to clarify my position on this matter. I have no anger/hatred/venom towards PJ, Evangeline Lilly, or anyone else, for that matter. I have no personal problem with the books having been adapted into films, or with most of the little changes that PJ made. (I realize that on that point I am a majority.) I have a great deal of respect for film as an artform, when it is well used.

That said, when I first heard of the addition of the character Itaril/Tauriel, my heart sank. I was worried that it would turn out to be something like what sadly happened to the adaptation of Prince Caspian. As I watch the behind the scenes footage and read up on PJ's facebook page, I became cautiously hopeful that, while not the book in any way, The Hobbit would turn out to be a lovely tribute to Tolkien's work that would draw in an entirely new generation.

However, I do find that all of the publicity surrounding the character of Tauriel is chipping away at my hope. Not because of Evangeline Lilly, who is handling the whole awkward situation with much grace, in my opinion, but because of the general (albeit not unfounded) assumption that many of the fans will react negatively. There are Tolkien fans who will never be pleased with any film adaptation of the books, but I do feel that as the publicity around this character grows, it invites people to ask the question, "What have they done to feel that this much damage control is necessary?"

Frankly, the reporter was rude and patronizing. That annoyed me. I moved on. The fear still remains that all of this damage control is, in fact, to prepare us for a huge detour from Tolkien's original work.