View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
At this later date, I can't remember exactly when I first read UT. I don't think it could have been before the mid 90's, though, when my Tolkien interest went through a renaissance that ultimately led me here to the Downs.

I'm quite fond of this first story. To me, Tuor really is the anti-Túrin; humble and accepting of advice, yet valiant when put to it. He hears the call of Ulmo and goes to the Sea, where he receives a task he had not looked for. Like Frodo much later, he accepts the errand on faith, not knowing where it will lead him in the end, but realizing that such is his part to play. I admire that.

Also, the imagery here is superb. As has been mentioned, the visualization of the empty, yet enduring halls of Vinyamar is compelling. The sound of the waves, the sunlight streaming in, and the sense of wholesomeness mixed with intrigue: where had the Noldor there gone? Tuor would find out rather soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
I have always seen Voronwe as the analogue of Gwindor - Gwindor guides Turin to Nargothrond and Voronwe guides Tuor to Gondolin. That parallel goes deeper - if you recall, Finrod and Turgon both had dreams sent to them by Ulmo urging them to found hidden cities, and Nargothrond and Gondolin were the respective results. It's also worth noting that in the Book of Lost Tales, Voronwe was an escaped thrall from Angband just as was Gwindor ('Flinding' in the Lost Tales). Indeed, I've always kind of suspected that Tolkien changed Voronwe's background to avoid making the analogy too blatantly obvious.
Gwindor as a parallel to Voronwë works very well. I like Voronwë as is, better. As you say, with Gwindor we already have a picture of what happens to the prisoners of Angband. With Voronwë, we get the insight of an Elf trying against hope to return to the West, failing, and yet being saved to play his own part in a drama much greater than himself.