View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #52
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Dreeeeem, dream dream dream

Interesting points FlimFlamSam, though I'd disagree about Gandalf aging backwards.

In the Shadow of the Past, Frodo notes that Gandalf appears older and more careworn. Then Gandalf thinks back to Bilbo's day with

Quote:
His hair was perhaps whiter than it had been then
etc, showing that G was aging forwards if, admittedly, very slowly!

Though agree that after his renewal there was considerably more spring in the step of Gandalf the White.

Meanwhile on the dream, why was it sent to Boromir at all if Faramir was supposed to go, on the other hand why bother with Faramir if Boromir was supposed to go all along?

(I'd subscribe to the Eru/Valar/outside fatey sort of thing interpretation by the way.)

Was the dream sent to Boromir to increase Denethor's belief in it? Otherwise it could just be interpreted by Denethor as that ditzy wizard's pupil younger son off chasing fairy tales again.

Was Boromir lying when he claimed to have had the same dream. Unlikely I think, but perhaps worth considering. Motivation - I'm the elder, so all the important stuff should be done myself. Or - I don't think Faramir's up to the job, it'd be better for me to do it. Or - Dad wants me to go instead so I'll play along.

What was the job? If you put yourself in Denethor's position, then the mention of the Sword that was Broken and Rivendell, on the border of Arnor, should make you put two-and-two together and come up with an heir, real or pretended. If you're Denethor, should you send the 'weaker' son who might end up with the wool pulled over his eyes and support the 'heir', or should you send the stronger son, who's more likely to have the interests of Gondor, ie the Stewards, at heart? Bear in mind the risks of them being lost en route, or even suffering some 'accident' at the hands of this unknown 'heir'.